Back to the Drawing Board

Big Dreams and a Long Line of Bad Luck

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Moved from the city to live on a farm with my husband and 2 kids ~ starting over and trying to keep life simple ~ trusting in God and looking forward to His blessings

Monday, May 09, 2005

Thieves and Bees

I came across this article today.

When my husband was in Dallas for his pain management classes in March, someone broke into the toolbox on the back of his truck (which was locked) and stole at least $500.00 worth of tools. He was really upset about this but we were just glad they didn't steal the whole truck. (I really work at trying to stay optomistic)

Last night we were on the phone with my father in law in Houston after wishing my mother in law a Happy Mother's Day. His dad then proceeds to tell us what happened to him last weekend.

He works for a company that has some property for the employees to go hunting. The company had him rent a "Ditch Witch" (not exactly sure what this is but it is big) and work on this property doing something. So, he and 3 other men that work there with him, take this "Ditch Witch" and put it on my father in laws flat bed trailer and worked all weekend. Monday morning he was to have this ditch witch back at the rental company at 9am. He has to be at work at 5:30 am. So, that morning he backed up his work truck with the trailer and ditch witch toward the building so when he was ready to leave, he could pull straight out of the parking lot. At 6:15 someone else comes in and asks him why he parked so strange in the parking lot off by himself ~ my father in law paid no attention to this guy. At 7am he goes outside to find his truck way off in the middle of nowhere (as if it had been pushed) and the ditch witch and his flat bed trailer - gone - poof - stolen. He said the company is going to pay for the ditch witch ($6000.00) to the rental company ~ not sure about the trailer yet.

When he told this story it made me wonder how in the world people can even sleep at night.

He also mentioned that while they were out on this property they were attacked by killer bees.
I asked my husband how he knew they were "killer" bees and he said because of the way they attacked. He said that he was using his "ditch witch" ~ and looked over his shoulder and saw one of his workers running by pulling his shirt off swatting at something ~ about 20 seconds later here comes the 2nd worker ~ no shirt and swatting ~ about 20 seconds later the 3rd guy runs by with nothing on but his underwear, swatting something with his cap.

2 of the guys jumped into the cab of their truck while the 3rd guy jumped into the back of the truck to get a can of wasp spray. His dad said that the bees literally took it away from the guy where he had to drop it and jumped into the front of the truck ~ in the meantime the bees were charging at the windshield and windows hitting it over and over. About that time my father in law turned off his machine and saw 1 bee - then 2 - then 3 --- then he walked slowly to some brush and they left him alone. He wasn't stung but the guy who attempted at getting the wasp spray was stung 17 times.

I am the opposite ~ if a bee comes around me I do not start swatting it away. To me that would just make them more upset.

But I did learn that bees are attracted to loud noises which I didn't know.

Couldn't imagine running for my life from killer bees.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home