Back to the Drawing Board

Big Dreams and a Long Line of Bad Luck

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Moved from the city to live on a farm with my husband and 2 kids ~ starting over and trying to keep life simple ~ trusting in God and looking forward to His blessings

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Planted Trees

I had been wanting to plant some trees in our yard for a long time and finally got to yesterday. I had been looking at them for 2 or 3 years but just couldn't bring myself to pay $30 for a tree that I knew nothing about growing. It seems no matter how hard I try or how hard I study, I do not have a green thumb and kill anything that lives. I could probably manage to kill a cactus.

So, yesterday I found a great deal on trees ~ $11/ea. Bought 2. I was so excited when I left and couldn't believe what a bargain I got. Got home, dug a hole, mulched, and sat outside looking at them. Of course, all I had to go by was the little card attached to each of them with a picture. That's mainly all I cared about. The picture. Once I got home, my husband told me that oak trees can get up to 50 feet - I was so happy - a shade tree in the front yard!

I know what you are thinking when you read the word "oak" ~

Someone should have told me.

From what I understand, I will not see this tree in its beauty in my lifetime. I found out from my husband AFTER it was planted that the tree will be for our kids and grandkids to enjoy. Years and years and years of growing. Not exactly what I had in mind. That explains why they were $11/ea.

The other is a crepe myrtle. Hoping to see it before I'm so old I'll forget its there. Heard it does grow fast. Maybe they meant faster than the oak - have no idea. I'd just like to see my accomplishment while I'm still alive.

2 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

Kim
Thanks for reading my blog!! I'm starting yo7urs right now, and so far, I'm only at the first one about planting a tree. And I'm looking forward to the rest...you sound like you have the same luck I do, when it comes to growing stuff...trust me...cacti in little pots in my house have died....however...my daughter, Tiffany, is still here, and she's 21! And my husband Kevin is still here, & has been here for 15 years, so....
BoUnCeS!! LibbY!

April 30, 2005 12:44 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

I have a Crepe Myrtle in my yard and they have beautiful flowers in the spring and nice color in the fall. You will like it.

Thanks for stopping by.

May 05, 2005 7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home