Back to the Drawing Board

Big Dreams and a Long Line of Bad Luck

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Moved from the city to live on a farm with my husband and 2 kids ~ starting over and trying to keep life simple ~ trusting in God and looking forward to His blessings

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Help Wanted

The newspaper where we live only comes out once a week. There must not be enough new news in our area worth reporting. Every Tuesday it is delivered to our mailbox for free.
When it arrives I always make sure to check the employment ads to see if there is ... well, anything. This quest I have been on in search for a job started in September of last year. By the time things were beginning to look promising for me and I found myself motivated and overly ambitious to "outplay" my competition, it was Christmas. I continued to look through the holidays but just seem to be having a bit of a problem.

This morning I got up to work on updating my resume and anxiously awaited for the paper.
I've got my cover letter how I like it ~ stamps and envelopes. Dressed, full tank of gas, ready to go wherever it may be.

I open it up and here are my choices:

AVON
Want a fun job, PT/FT Become an AVON sales rep. Call xxx-xxx-xxxx.

HELP WANTED
Merchandiser P/T-stocking a small refrigerator unit twice weekly, Mon/Thurs.
Call xxx-xxx-xxxx.

That's it.
I thought maybe it continued to the next page, but nope. That was it.

The only other job was for a nurse ~ but unfortunately they will have filled that position before I get through nursing school ~ which I might add ~ I wouldn't pass. Blood, needles, throw-up, IV's........ick. My stomach is too queezy for that.

As I skim through the rest of the paper, I see the county grand jury indictments which reads:

XXXXX - Possession of Controlled Substance, Cocaine, 1-4 grams, 3rd Degree Felony.
XXXXX - Possession of Controlled Substance, Cocaine, 1-4 grams, 3rd Degree Felony.
XXXXX - Delivery of Controlled Substance, Meth, 4-200 Grams, 1st Degree Felony.
XXXXX - Delivery of Controlled Substance, Cocaine, 1-4 grams, 2nd Degree Felony.
XXXXX - Delivery of Controlled Substance, Cocaine, less than 1 gram, 3rd degree felony.
XXXXX - Delivery of Controlled Substance, Cocaine, less than 1 gram, 3rd Degree Felony.
XXXXX - Delivery of Controlled Substance, Cocaine, less than 1 gram, 3rd degree felony.
XXXXX - Delivery of Controlled Substance, Cocaine, 1-4 grams, 2nd degree felony.
XXXXX - Delivery of Controlled Substance, Cocaine, less than 1 gram, 2nd degree felony.
XXXXX - Delivery of Controlled Substance, Cocaine, 1-4 grams, 2nd degree felony.
XXXXX - Delivery of a Controlled Substance, Cocaine, less than 1 gram, 3rd degree felony.
XXXXX - Delivery of a Controlled Substance, Cocaine, 1-4 grams, 2nd degree felony.
XXXXX - Delivery of a Controlled Substance, Cocaine, less than 1 gram, 3rd degree felony.
XXXXX - Delivery of a Controlled Substance, Cocaine, 1-4 grams, 2nd degree felony.
XXXXX - Aggrevated Assault with a deadly weapon, 2nd degree felony.
XXXXX - DWI, 3rd Degree Felony.
XXXXX - Burglary of Habitation, 2nd Degree Felony.
XXXXX - Retaliation, 3rd Degree Felony.
XXXXX - Hinder Secured Creditors, 3rd Degree Felony.
XXXXX - Hinder Secured Creditors, State Jail Felony

Now I sit here confused.

Now, with employment opportunities available selling Avon or stocking a refrigerator twice a week is all we have to choose from, this has driven these people insane.

Some had possession - where'd they get the money?
Some had delivery - aahhhh, I see.
Aggrivated assault with a deadly weapon - can't take it anymore
DWI - (I just can't say anything about this as it hits too close to me)
Burglary - no job + stealing = pawn shop = money
Retailiation - stored up frustration from the guy with the deadly weapon
Hinder Secured Creditors - I bet they didn't return their "rent to own" furniture as they can't possibly afford to go BUY some on an Avon representatives salary.

Now I am not saying to any of you out there that may sell Avon that I think Avon is bad. I am simply saying that if everyone in our county is selling Avon there is just too much competition and only so many women in our county that wear makeup. I have to honestly say that from the ones I come across ~ they can't afford to buy Avon because they have no money and go with the "natural" look ~ and I mean "natural" ~ no hairspray, no lipstick, no perfume -- nothing.

From what I have found is getting a job here is not what you know but who you know and also being tested to see how much a person can put up with. I have never seen more lazy people in all my life. This applies to any store or business in our town - they have a sign in their window that says their hours - but they are closed except for when they feel like working. There are really businesses here that would answer the phone "eee..yep?" .... ????? They are happy just the way they are - they resist change and have no ambition. I on the other hand cannot just sit somewhere and wait for the phone to ring -- it drives me CRAZY -- especially when I know that if someone were to actually "work" we could have something to do!

The last job I had my boss and her husband owned the business and she watched TV 9 hours a day and he played golf online 9 hours a week - the other hours were spent at the actual golf course. They were 10 years younger than me and had no previous knowledge of business at all. 300 days of the year were slow -- the first 18 months I tried my best to "look busy" ~~ when it was time for a raise and I got .25 cents more an hour I quit looking busy. I then worked crossword puzzles. She'd come in about every hour or 2 and tell me what just happened on Regis & Kelly, The Young & the Restless, etc... Each day was like a week for me... I couldn't understand how this business could even stay open when the phone NEVER rang! But they were happy with it the way it was ~ and I know this for a fact because there is more to this story than I am going to elaborate on right now.

With me ~ it's like tunnel vision if I have a goal. I don't know when to stop. My life always begins to revolve around my work ~ I like feeling I've accomplished something and like appreciation. But that drive and enthusiasm can only get me so far here until I hit a brick wall. I can't go any further because they don't care ~ they like everyday the same ~ no more than 5 calls a day or we may have to close for the rest of the day because it was too much work to tell those 5 people they had the wrong number.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carol (Smiles and Laughter) said...

Yikes! How frustrating. I understand the lack of employement in a small town. I had commutted 4 hours and got an apartment in Houston for two years because there were NO professional jobs where we are. Especially for biochemists. It was hard to be away from my husband. We had no kids, though. When I got pregnant I quit.

I know this doesn't help you...I wish I had some advice!

May 10, 2005 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home