Back to the Drawing Board

Big Dreams and a Long Line of Bad Luck

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Moved from the city to live on a farm with my husband and 2 kids ~ starting over and trying to keep life simple ~ trusting in God and looking forward to His blessings

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Blondes Have More Fun?

Yesterday was probably one of the days of my life I will never forget. I ended up having to go to bed early from the trauma of it all but am much better now.

My moms best friend, who I have known my whole life is a hairstylist. She has her own shop at her home and we frequently go by to visit her while I'm here during the summers. Each time we visit she will give Jessica and I a makeover to our hair including a cut, perm, color - whatever we want. We always look forward to our "new-do's" and dropped by her shop yesterday to discuss what we will be wanting to do.

Landon had tagged along and heard us talking about highlights and color. He decided he would like to join in the fun and have the tips of his hair colored blonde. Since we have been here he has been thinking of nothing other than skateboarding and figured this new style would help him look more like a skater. I didn't see a problem with this as his hair grows fast and it should be somewhat subtle.

We ended up leaving him with her for the afternoon so she could work on it at her convenience. When I got back later in the afternoon I opened to door to her shop to find the blondest full head of hair I could imagine. This was not tipped - this was a whole head of blonde hair. Of course my jaw hit the floor and suddenly I felt ill. He was soooo happy -- however, my little brown haired cowboy was no longer there. I wanted my baby back - not this Billy Idol look-a-like.

When I got him back to my moms he was wild - couldn't take his own eyes off of himself. I, on the other hand had to go lay down which is where I stayed for the next 12 hours sick to my stomach. I laid there trying to rationalize this knowing it wasn't something that I would have to look at forever but something I just couldn't look at for the moment.

This morning I laid in his bed with him just staring at him. He doesn't look my baby - he looks like a boy. I looked at him as long as I could until I came to grips with it since I am going to have to deal with this.

It may sound a tad dumb, I know - but this was really traumatic. I wish I could have been more light-hearted about it and not taken it so seriously but it's going to take me some time to get used to it I suppose. I promise to post a picture of him with his "new look" as soon as I go get some more Pepto.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather Plett said...

My daughter's been asking for blue hair for awhile now. I think I'll try to find some washable stuff, 'cause I'm not sure I could handle the trauma you went through.

July 07, 2005 9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home