Back to the Drawing Board

Big Dreams and a Long Line of Bad Luck

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Moved from the city to live on a farm with my husband and 2 kids ~ starting over and trying to keep life simple ~ trusting in God and looking forward to His blessings

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Older but wiser?

All of my family has always been older.
Being the only child I had to spend alot of time alone or with older people.
I didn't have a very large family so not too many cousins ~ they all lived far away.

I have always had a lot of respect for older people. I've always considered them wiser and a good source for information. I remember having long conversations with my grandfather about his childhood and listened to his advice. He honestly was the smartest man I have ever known.

Since his death in August of last year ~ my life has really felt empty when it comes to "wise" people. I live around and go to church with a lot of elderly people, but they aren't my grandfather. I want to hear his stories again.

Today I had to experience for the first time since his death, patience with an elderly person.
My grandfather couldn't hear or drive ~ saw things differently than I. He died at the age of 92 which I am sure explains most of his thinking. It was easy to forgive him for disagreeing with me and overlooking his short comings.

But the lady today just tried my patience. As I previously posted, this week has been an emotional roller coaster for me and I have yet to pin-point exactly why. If I didn't have a reason before, I will just blame it on what happened this morning.

So, my elderly neighbor likes to go to auctions and "collect" a lot of stuff. She goes to garage sales and piles her barns and house full of stuff. I'm not sure why she does this ~ almost like an addiction for her.

I don't think of her as that "old". She is probably in her early to mid 70's. Still seems like she is in great health and pretty spunky. She is sweet, but not in a "grandmotherly" sort of way to me. She is very hard to read.

Back to our tiff.

She called last week wanting me to list some of her things on eBay. I didn't have too big of a problem doing this for her. However, the last time I did this last year for her ended up being a nightmare. She had about 1 million stamps and wanted a gold mine for them. Just wasn't going to happen. Luckilly, she finally came and got them and I thought I'd wiped my hands of all that for her.

I agree to go to her house, take some pictures and do some research. She had a couple of teapots, an old soda bottle, a bandana, a sugar bowl, and some china. After doing my investigating for her, I tell her that the only things that may sell are the bandana and the china.

After asking her a million questions, I feel confident. I took the pictures of the bandana and china ~ she had pulled out 3 glasses from a box and said that those were the sizes of glasses she had.

So back to eBay I go. I list them. Her prices on these things are extremely high ~ I am doubting they will sell after finding out what she wants for them but am giving it a try to help her out.

Within 3 days, someone bids and wants the china. I am thrilled for her. I call her and tell her I will be over to get them ready to ship and hold them until the auction ends and payment is received. Not a problem.

I go by and pick them up last night and brought them in this morning to inspect to make absolutely sure that nothing is chipped ~ as I am the responsible seller and wanted to wash them, etc.. before packing them up.

To my surprise, not only are there not nearly as many glasses as she told me, there are 9 different sizes - not 3. I was livid. She hadn't called to correct her mistake with me or try to correct the problem at all. It didn't bother her at all that she was misleading anyone apparently.

I then go back to her house this morning about to really come unglued. I know this is an older woman who yes, may have a problem counting. Or determining height. Or knowing how to use the phone. I just wasn't buying it.

I carry the box back into her house and say "We have a problem". I explain to her the misrepresentation of this, how I had to end the listing ~ she laughed. She never once took any responsibility and acted as if I couldn't count or determine height of a glass. She just asked why I did that ~ I said because that is what I was told and lead to believe. I told her I didn't know what she should do with them but I didn't think they'd sell on eBay ~ only because I wanted out of that business with her.

I then give her the fees it cost me to list these items for her ~ she stands there. I wait.
I get tired of waiting ~ I leave. I'm pretty sure she understood me as saying it was free.

When I get home, I call my dad. He is very close to her and her "live in boyfriend". He says for me not to worry that he is going to buy them a computer. They do a lot for him and will not take his money so this was going to be his way of paying them. He then says that she can just sell her things herself on eBay. I cringe.

I do feel so bad about being so angry with her. He tried to assure me that she really is getting old and that she just doesn't know what she is doing. He made excuses for her but somehow I just couldn't "get it". For some reason I just thought she was a liar and a cheater. Old age or not ~ there is no excuse. I just hope when I get old and if I'm kindof getting "drifty" in my mind, I will ask for help. I will admit when I make a mistake.

I have been dealing with a lot of people lately that seem to be this same way. They feel that they are right and always right ~ people complaining but do nothing to fix the problem ~ people who make promises they cannot keep ~ people who will do whatever it takes regardless of who is in the way to make a buck ~ people who expect something for nothing ~ I could keep going.
This may be the reason I would rather stay home than leave the house. My patience is gone. My understanding is limited.

Maybe people these days just don't feel that they have to be held accountable for anything. They do what they want to do and worry about the consequences later. I am guilty of having done that myself from time to time, but do not make a habit of it. I have been known to fly by the seat of my pants because from day to day my life can take a 180 degree turn ~ and this is normal to me. Rob Peter to pay Paul ~ those sorts of things. But when it comes to character, or being trust-worthy or morals ~ I just don't play around with those things. They mean so much to me to find those things in people ~ and it is important for me to have and offer those qualities in my relationships with my family and friends.

I am not saying my neighbor did this deliberately ~ but she seems to have it "together". I do give her the benefit of the doubt and believe that she is used to dealing with a "buyer beware" way of thinking not realizing that it eBay is a very "buyer protection" type place. That is how eBay has become so successful ~ trust. It is not a "buy at your own risk" like a regular auction would be. But my issue with this is that if she is under the impression that eBay is a "buyer beware" system ~ why she would want to take advantage of that? Why did she not be accurate to begin with? Why did she half-way know what she was selling and never say a word when she really found out what she had? That's where the word accountable comes in. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".....and I know that if she had purchased something and had been mislead she would have been upset too. I cannot for the life of me understand why she doesn't comprehend that.

I feel that she sends the signal that it's not okay if someone does that to her, but it's okay if she does that to someone else.

My business relationship with her is over ~ the goodness of my heart favors have run out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home